Helium - SIAD Società Italiana Acetilene e Derivati
Helium is a colourless, odourless, nontoxic; nonflammable gas.
Pure helium is used:
- in various analytical instrument applications, most commonly as a carrier gas in gas chromatography
- as a heat transfer material
- in the manufacturing of calibration mixtures
- as a component in laser gas mixtures
- in the semiconductor industry as a carrier/purge gas
- as a blanket gas to exclude air from certain fabrication processes
- Helium mixtures with hydrocarbons are used in Geiger counters employed for the detection of a, b, g and X-rays
- in mixtures with oxygen as a breathing gas.
Metals: Brass; Stainless Steel; Carbon Steel; Aluminum; Zinc; Copper; Monel.
Plastics: Kel-F; PTFE; PVC; Polycarbonate.
Elastomers: Viton; Buna-N; Neoprene.
Molecular Weight: 4.003
Specific Gravity (Air = 1): 0.14
CAS Registry No.: 7440-59-7